About the Tribal Advisor's Office
The Office of the Governor's Tribal Advisor, created by Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. in 2010, is part of the Office of the Governor. The Tribal Advisor's Office (TAO) serves the Governor and advises the Governor and Cabinet colleagues on issues affecting Tribal governments (except gaming compacts). The Governor's Tribal Advisor is charged with the following:
- Implementation of effective government-to-government consultation between the Governor's Administration and California Tribes on policies that affect California Tribal communities.
- Advise on Tribal governments in California
- Serve as a direct link between the Tribes and the Governor of the State of California
- Facilitation of communication and consultations between the Office of the Governor, the Tribes, state agencies, and agency tribal liaisons
- Review and make recommendations on state legislation and regulations affecting Tribes